“In The Home”
Keep your family safe from fire. Be aware of the hazards in your home. And, be sure to have an escape plan. Pull together everyone in your household and make a plan. Walk through your home and inspect all possible exits and escape routes.
- Burn awareness Most “fire-related injuries” are burns.
- Dryers and washing machines The leading cause of home clothes dryer and washer fires is failure to clean them.
- Escape planning Learn the steps to create and practice a home fire escape plan.
- Gasoline & propane Always handle gasoline in the home or propane-powered equipment cautiously.
- Hoarding and fire safety Many fire departments are experiencing serious fires, injuries, and deaths as the result of compulsive hoarding behavior.
- Medical oxygen Portable medical oxygen in the home has grown over the past decade.
- Portable fireplaces The fuel, device and open flame from these products can be dangerous.
- Portable generators The most common dangers with portable generators are carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning, electrical shock, and fire hazards.
From the National Fire Protection Association.